Infertility effects more then 3 out of 10 couples across the globe and of which 30 percent are related to male infertility. Infertility is on the rise especially in the last 2 decades and some of the potential reasons for this could be :
- Age related decline in fertility
- Delay in child bearing due to career and other responsibilities
- Increased number of sexual partners
- Increase in STDs
- Sperm transport disorder
- Gonad disorder
- Pituitary or Hypothalamic causes
According to Morell V: Basic infertility assessment, normal healthy couples have a conception rate of 25 % / month. Male infertility has a hand in 50% of infertility cases among a couple and of that 30 percent is solely attributed to male infertility.
Male fertility test
Fertility test for men is commonly detected through semen analysis to really zero down on the male factor infertility. Typically a male fertility doctor around you will provide help in detection of any male infertility issue.
This procedure normally started with questions around your medical background as well as your lifestyle. So typical queries will be around:
- Medications beings taken
- Major or minor surgeries
- Smoking habits
- Sleep patterns
- Overall health and fitness levels
- Sexual health
After these discussions, the male fertility doctor collects the sperm for further analysis for shape, count and general movement of the sperm. Typically there are 2 tests done to assure the overall health of the sperm. If both the test reports normal to health sperm, then it can be said that there are no infertility issues.
In some cases, if there is no sperm ejaculation at all, then the same can be corrected through surgery.
Other laboratory based male fertility tests available are as follows:
- Testicular biopsy : In this procedure, a small tissue is taken from the testicles for further analysis and to check on the production of the sperm.
- Sperm Penetration Assay: Also called the zona-free hamster oocyte penetration assay, is a measure to check on the sperms potential to perform capacitation, fuse with the egg and further result in the formation of male pronucleus.
- Sperm agglutination: Its the percentage of the sperm to stick together which hampers their movement or prevents their swimming and reaching the egg in a timely manner. Up to 7% of male infertility is attributed to sperm agglutination or sperm antibodies which forces the sperm to stick together and thus hampering fertility in men.
- Vasography: In context of male fertility, an x-ray is taken to detect any hindrance or barrier in the vas deferens. Further an Ultrasonography is undertaken to locate damage or barrier in reproductive tract.
- Hemizona assay: In this male fertility test, a human egg is split in half to determine if the perm is able to penetrate the outer layer of the egg.
- Hypo-osmotic swelling: Under this test a sugar and salt solution is treated on the sperm to analyse the reaction of the sperm. If the sperms are healthy, its ails are swollen in the solution in comparison to dead or weak sperm whose tails barely shown any change.
- Acrosome : In this male fertility test, the capacity of the sperm is determined to cause the necessary changes to penetrate and dissolve the eggs protective layer.
Male fertility test at home
There are various home kits which can be utilized to determine male fertility at home and before proceeding to a male fertility doctor near you. These tests typically give you the sperm count within 10 minutes.
If the count is below 20 million sperm per milliliter, then its alway advised to consult a male fertility doctor near you as sperm count is only one measure in a vast array of fertility factors. So if male fertility is what you are determining then its always advised to consult an expert who gathers and diagnose the condition on much broader parameters.
What are the various male infertility treatment ?
Broadly speaking there are three major categories of treatment for male infertility:
1. Non Surgical Treatment :
There are certain non surgical treatments available which are tried as a primary measure to treat male infertility. Some of these treatments have proven effective in treating the infertility condition.
Also Check Out : 13 Signs Of Healthy Sperm
Anejaculation: In this condition there is no semen produced and some of the reasons associated with this are Spinal injury, diabetes, some birth abnormality, multiple sclerosis and emotional reasons. Primarily various drugs are tried and if they fail the following 2 treatments are undertaken :
Rectal probe electroejaculation (RPE) : In this method 90 percent of the cases are successful with the sperm getting retrieved. However, the health of the sperm retrieved needs to be further analyzed.
Penile vibratory stimulation : In this male infertility treatment, the tip of the penis is vibrated to help get a natural climax.
Assistive reproductive method: In this procedure, sperm is obtained through natural ejaculation, surgical procedures or donors depending upon the situation. The sperm
Hormonal treatment : In some cases where the doctors feels that hormonal imbalances are causing infertility in males, he or she can recommend certain medications to streamline the hormonal effect and thus result into normal fertility.
2. Surgical Treatment :
In cases where no sperm is present in the ejaculate, sperm can often be sourced straight from the testicles or epididymis using sperm-retrieval techniques.
Varicocelectomy : In this procedure a minor surgery is done to repair varicoceles which are these dilated veins which when treated exhibit an improved sperm movement and structure.
Vasectomy Reversal : In some cases a minor surgery is done to remove the blockage of sperm in the vas deferens caused by vasectomy. In this surgery, the two ends of vas deferens are connected back to allow the flow of sperm.
Epididymovasostomy: In this surgery, the blockage in the epididymis is removed to allow the flow of sperm.
High fsh in male treatment
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is a glycoprotein gonadotropin secreted by the anterior pituitary in response to gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) released by the hypothalamus. luteinizing hormone (LH) is another chemical secreted by these glands. The FSH and LH together regulate gonadal function.
Typically a heightened FSH level needs further exploration to determine the root cause. In such cases testosterone therapy is included as a heightened FSH can impact testosterone levels in males and thus causing infertility.
Lifestyle changes to cure or heal male infertility?
Below are some of the home remedies and lifestyle aspects which can lead to a solution for male infertility and give the desired result
- Increase frequency of sex overall and make it a daily routine. This
lead to will directly increasein probabilityof causing pregnancy. Especially whenpossible during ovulation, if the sperm is it can cause the desired result. present ,
- Avoid using any lubricants which can hinder the sperm movement and reduce its functionality.
- Avoid wearing tight underwear which can further stress the private areas and may hamper the natural process.
- Overall reduction in mental stress can go a great way in restoring libido and thus bringing positive effects to your fertility.
- Cut down on smoking and drinking and start hitting the gym. It has been shown that lifting moderately heavy weights on a regular causes the body to feel muscular strength which indirectly restores libido.
Boost Male fertility through Ayurvedic treatment
There has been claims from ayurvedic experts about treating male infertility without the usage of any harmful chemicals or surgical treatments. These herbs are as below:
- Mucuna Pruriens : This herb is mentioned in ancient scriptures and is touted to cure infertility. The medicinally valuable parts are the seeds, though studies have revealed the presence of active components in stems and leaves too.
- Shilajit : This is also called as sex tonic in India and is known to restore energy reserves. It cures general fatigue and also provides energy to bones and muscles.
- Ashwagandha : This is a versatile herb which translates into Horses smell. Its famously known to boost strength in a human body and is part of the ancient ayurvedic regime. It works by improving the overall strength of the body.
- White Musli : This herb is used as a tonic to rejuvenate the reproductive system. The regular use of this herb is valuable in impotency, premature ejaculation and low sperm count in men. As it is very rich in glycosides, it works very well in curing impotency and low sperm count
Boost Male fertility through Alternative Medicines
With the recent rush in alternative supplements and medicines coming to main stream, there has been claims about treatment of male fertility issues through their usage. These supplement do not correct underlying disorders or malfunction but focus on the over all nutrition of the body. Some of these herbs and supplements are :
- Panax ginseng
- Black seed (nigella sativa)
- Coenzyme Q10
- Folic acid
- Horse chestnut (aescin)
However, these need to be consulted with your doctor before consumption to rule out any allergic or harmful reactions.
Coping with infertility can be difficult and is not always necessarily solved with dedicated work.
The emotional burden on a couple is considerable, and plans for coping can help. In such matters the spouse can always step up efforts to maintain the overall composure of the relationship and avoid any chances for depression of the individual.
Also check out